The Augustinian Priory of St Mary Merton, Surrey: Excavations 1976-90 - MOLA Research Repository
Shared Research Repository
Book

The Augustinian Priory of St Mary Merton, Surrey: Excavations 1976-90

2007

Abstract

Excavations 1976–90 at the priory of St Mary Merton revealed much about the layout and development of this monastery from the 12th century to the Dissolution. Founded on its present site beside the Wandle river, c 11.3km south-west of London, in 1117, Merton was one of the most influential of all the English houses of regular canons, and was much favoured by Henry III. Of particular interest are the monastic infirmary complex – hall, chapel, cloister and ancillary buildings – and the large number (700+) of burials excavated from the external cemetery, church, cloister and chapter house.

Files

There are 0 files associated with this work.

Metadata