St Marylebone Church and burial ground in the 18th to 19th centuries: excavations at St Marylebone School, 1992 and 2004-6 - MOLA Research Repository
Shared Research Repository
Book

St Marylebone Church and burial ground in the 18th to 19th centuries: excavations at St Marylebone School, 1992 and 2004-6

2008

Abstract

During the 18th century, St Marylebone parish grew to become one of the wealthiest in London. The church on Marylebone High Street, built 1742, was soon too small to serve this population and relocated in 1817. Archaeologists recorded 350+ burials, mostly in the graveyard, with some in family vaults or the church crypt. Notable burials included the painter Benjamin De La Cour, the Wesley family (Charles was founder of the Methodist movement) and the Hampsons (their ancestor Sir Robert was alderman of London and sheriff in 1598). The archaeological results and detailed osteological analysis of 301 individuals are combined with documentary research into the parish and its population, making this one of the largest and most comprehensive studies of a post-medieval London cemetery.

Files

There are 0 files associated with this work.

Metadata