Bermondsey Priory was founded on the south bank of the Thames, across the river from the White Tower, in the 1080s. Bermondsey became a centre of pilgrimage and in 1399 the priory’s status was raised to that of an abbey, before its transformation in the 16th century into a courtier’s mansion. The results of modern excavation of the eastern parts of the church, cloister and inner court, and the monastic cemetery are complemented by documentary research and an extensive 19th-century survey of the abbey, providing a detailed picture of the 12th-century building programme and subsequent expansion and remodelling. Also examined are the monastery’s Anglo-Saxon antecedents and the Tudor mansion which succeeded it.
This is a metadata only record.