The Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem was formed to support pilgrimages to Jerusalem and run a great hospital there. A house of the Order was founded in Clerkenwell in 1144. It became the Order's only priory in England, and its headquarters here. Archaeology shows that the religious house evolved into a sumptuous palatial complex very different from a normal monastic institution. This volume looks at the priory sequence, including the round-naved church, cemetery, Great Hall, gatehouse, and an outer precinct housing financial officials. Thematic chapters consider the foundation, architecture, living standards and Dissolution of the priory.
This is a metadata only record.